Thursday, September 3, 2009

Bon Odori Festival

Bon Odori is a Japanese Buddhist custom to honor deceased ancestors. It lasts 3 days and is commonly celebrated with festivals, food, and visiting relatives. I had read about this holiday about a month ago and began wondering when it would be celebrated in our area.


The first sign was lanterns like the ones above - hung at the train station, around stores, and over the street surrounding the shrine near our house. A few days later the festivals were held. The picture on the right shows 2 portable shrines that were carried down the street by a group of very enthusiastic people who were singing and cheering as I (and many others) gawked from the car!


These are pictures of the shrine less than half a mile from our house. Normally, this is a very quiet street, but on August 21st it was very busy! I didn't get a chance to go this year, but I snapped a quick pic as I was driving by (don't try this at home kids!)

I did go to the Bon Odori Festival held at the military housing base in Negishi. When we arrived the 7th Fleet Band was kicking things off with Michael Jackson...the lead singer even did the moonwalk! Something about Michael Jackson being sung in a military uniform makes me laugh...but they were very good!


Next up was the Hongo Ohayashi Music team and lion dance.


Just outside the base was a park too beautiful to leave out!


The vendors had a variety of American and Japanese foods and souvenirs. It was a really hot day and the pineapple on a stick was cold/frozen so I couldn't pass it up! On the right are goldfish for sale! I watched the kid in blue accidentally drop one outside the tank...fortunately the owner saved it. Oh and the other great thing in this picture - the girl has a blow up dog on wheels with a leash! I miss you Sammy and Lola!

The highlight of the day was the Sagami Dragon Drummers. The kids were awesome!

I wasn't a fan of the dancing, but the outfits these ladies were wearing are pretty cool.
Here's a little video of the kids...enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment